On Labour Day, we celebrate the important contributions union workers make to society. The work that union members do each day improves the lives of Nova Scotians, and we are very proud of the contributions our members have made, both within the workplace and their own local communities.
This Labour Day (Monday, September 5th), come out and celebrate with your fellow workers at Labour Day events being held in communities throughout the province.
Throughout history, unions have successfully fought for many significant rights and benefits that are enjoyed by all workers – whether they are unionized or not. This includes: weekends, vacations, the end to child labour, lunch breaks, Canada Pension Plan, minimum wage, pensions, employment insurance, sick leave, universal health care, wrongful termination laws, parental leave, occupational health and safety, and much, much more. This legacy is alive and well today, as unions have led the charge on recent improvements to Canada’s CPP plan, and we continue to fight for better wages, safe workplaces, improved retirement benefits, and other important social issues.
Please come out and celebrate Labour’s accomplishments at one of the following events this year:
- Halifax-Dartmouth and District Labour Council: Meet at 10:30 a.m. at Victoria Park in Halifax. The march starts at 11 a.m., and ends at the South Commons Triangle for rally and BBQ, and NSGEU’s 2nd & 3rd Vice Presidents, Shawna Boudreau and Kim Jenkins, will be in attendance;
- Strait Area Labour Council: BBQ and celebration from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Unifor Hall on Reeves St., Port Hawesbury;
- Annapolis Valley Labour Council: Picnic from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Memorial Park, Kentville;
- South Shore Labour Council: South Shore Labour Council is holding their Labour Day Event at Ship Yards Landing from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
- Cape Breton and District Labour Council: BBQ at Open Hearth Park from noon to 2 p.m., with NSGEU’s President Jason MacLean in attendance;
- South West Labour Group: BBQ from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Frost Park, Main St., Yarmouth, with NSGEU’s 1st Vice President, Sandra Mullens, in attendance;
- Amherst Group of Local Unions: Event will be from noon to 4 p.m. at Victoria Square in Amherst.