Civil Service Public Service Award Options

Dear NSGEU Civil Service members,

We have been in contact with the Employer and have been told an email will be sent to all members late in the day tomorrow, January 11, 2018, outlining the process to exercise your options for an early payment in lieu of the Public Service Award (PSA).

Please make sure to check your email and junk mail folders tomorrow and if you do not receive this update, please give us a call at 902-424-4063 or toll-free at 1-877-556-7438 or send us an email at

15 Responses to Civil Service Public Service Award Options

  1. Maurice Graham January 10, 2018 at 4:34 pm #

    Good afternoon Dustin,
    I did not receive the most recent update regarding “Public Service Award Options”.
    Could you please add me to your mailing list……..Maurice Graham

    • Deedee Slye January 16, 2018 at 3:16 pm #

      We will update your contact info. Thank you!

  2. Bob January 12, 2018 at 9:36 am #


    • Deedee Slye January 16, 2018 at 3:10 pm #

      Apparently, the Employer is saying “by” mid-summer. Some options may dictate a later payout than others. We expect more information in the next two weeks. Thank you and please check back.

  3. Rosemarie January 17, 2018 at 2:36 pm #

    I did not receive the email that was suppose to be sent out to civil servants on January 11, 2018.

    • Deedee Slye January 17, 2018 at 3:23 pm #

      I believe all most of the information can be found at However, you should make sure your Employer has your correct email. Also, you should check your junk mail (sometimes that is where you find things). If you call us or send a message to our Labour Resource Centre at, they may be able to help you or connect you with someone who can help. Hope this is helpful. Thank you for your question.

  4. Donald January 24, 2018 at 11:06 am #

    The payout if taken now will be taxed accordingly and from what I understand will not be considered a retirement allowance. Therefore will the payout be reflected on my pension, i.e • Highest Average Salary (HAS) – This is your average annual salary for the five years of your career during which your salary was at its highest. These are usually, but not necessarily, the last five years of your career.

    • Deedee Slye January 26, 2018 at 4:38 pm #

      Good question. We will send it to our inquiry line for an answer and get back to you asap.
      Thank you!

    • Deedee Slye January 26, 2018 at 5:03 pm #

      Hello there, the payout will not be reflected on your pension. This is because contributions to the pension plan (PSSP) are not being deducted from the payment.
      Thank you for your question and we hope this helps.

  5. Cyril February 5, 2018 at 1:54 pm #

    In an e-mail sent from the employer today regarding “Service Payout for civil service” it says “you will waive all future rights to a Public Service Award related to that service” if I take the payout now. Can someone speak to this matter?

    • Deedee Slye February 15, 2018 at 3:29 pm #

      This means if you collect it now, you cannot again collect it at retirement. You cannot be paid out twice for the same service. However, if we win our constitutional court challenge to Bill 148, and if the PSA is reinstated, you will start accumulating it from April 1, 2015 forward and be able to collect that when you retire. Hope this helps. Thank you for your question.

  6. Steve Murphy February 8, 2018 at 11:00 am #

    I would like to know why my service award is for 5 years instead of 14. I was devolved from the federal government in 2009 but carried my seniority and pensionable time with me.

    I was paid a workforce adjustment from the federal government but the service award is not a severance its an award for years of service. My years of service are over 14 at time of cut off, Im losing 2/3 of the service award.

    • Deedee Slye February 15, 2018 at 3:25 pm #

      I will forward your questions to who will send it to your Employee Relations Officer. Any individual issues like yours should be discussed with your ERO who can help you. Thank you!

  7. Carrie March 16, 2018 at 10:49 am #

    I also but back 6 years. Included was casual time and maternity leave that I am not being credited for. I engulfed and they said any break in service years is not included. Any thoughts on this?

    • Deedee Slye March 19, 2018 at 4:26 pm #

      You should contact us by phone toll free at 1-877-556-7438 or by email at with your particulars – your full name, Local number or employer. Our staff will point you to your Employee Relations Officer who knows your contract and the rules of calculating service and can help you will your specific question about your service. Hope this is helpful! Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Facebook