***Click HERE for the vote van schedule***
The NSGEU is campaigning for the introduction of nurse-to-patient ratios in our public healthcare system. We believe nurse-to-patient ratios are essential to providing a safe level of care. Our hospitals and community health services have been plagued by underfunding and a shortage of nurses for a long time, and with many experienced nurses set to retire in the near future, the problem is only going to get worse. Your community deserves better.
Our plan provides an appropriate ratio of nurses to patients. For example, on a typical medical or surgery ward, there would be one nurse for every four patients.
Our ratio plan guarantees minimum numbers only, but can be adjusted to meet higher patient acuity. It also allows for flexibility so nurses can use their professional judgment to determine appropriate levels of care.
How will this benefit you? With the introduction of nurse-to-patient ratios, Nova Scotians will get:
- Better, more efficient healthcare;
- Safer and more consistent nursing care;
- Increased confidence in our healthcare system;
- A healthier & more sustainable nursing workforce.
NSGEU Nurses in the News:
- “Nursing demands will cost $60m to meet, health officials say” CBC, February 11.
- CBC Evening News, February 11th: (fastforward to 9:00 mark)
- “Nurses get advice on patient ratios” The Chronicle Herald, February 4, 2014
- Global News, Morning News:
- News 95.7, February 4, 2014:
- Judith Kiejda on the Todd Veinotte Show, February 4, 2014:
- Joan Jessome & Judith Kiejda on Rick Howe Show, February 4, 2014:
- Joan Jessome radio interview on The Todd Veinotte Show, January 15, 2o14:
- “NSGEU pushes for better nurse-to-patient ratios” The Chronicle Herald, January 14, 2014
- “Nurse to patient ratio over-working nurses, says union” CBC, January 14, 2014
- VIDEO: http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/PEI/ID/2429929451/, CBC, January 13, 2014
- “Union says N.S. hospitals lack sufficient numbers of nurses; patients suffering” The Chronicle Herald, May 6, 2013
- “Nearly two-thirds of NS nurses leave work worrying about patients: survey” Global News, May 6, 2013
- “Nurses’ contract includes 7.1 per cent increase” The Chronicle Herald, November 1, 2011.
- “Are Nova Scotia nurses and doctors burned out?” Global News, April 24, 2013.