At every convention there are many resolutions submitted. They cover everything except bargaining issues. They include priorities for political work, (e.g. lobby for more mental health services) organizational changes, (we need a Bully Free program, or we need to have offices outside of HRM) and changes in how we spend money (donations to Christmas Daddies instead of a Holiday Greeting TV ad, or donating to Transition Houses, or the food bank) An example of a specific resolution is below.
Resolution R-09-6 (Submitted by Board of Directors)
Subject of Resolution: Continuing Pension Education Intent of Resolution: To offer Pension Education to all members of the Union
Whereas: positive feedback has been received relating to the present pension awareness sessions; and
Whereas: the topic of Pension Education is currently ever more relevant; and
Whereas: members feel that pensions are of utmost importance; and
Whereas: many members are not familiar with their own pension plans.
Therefore be it resolved that: the NSGEU direct each of the eight (8) Regional Councils to dedicate one (1) meeting per year to pension education; and
Be it further resolved that: the NSGEU pension education sessions are to include members in all pension plans.
Resolution R-13-06 (Local 246 – Capital District Health Authority Office & Clerical)
Subject of Resolution: April 19th NSGEU Day.
Intent of resolution: NSGEU hold an event to recognize April 19 as NSGEU Day.
Whereas: April 19 has been designated as NSGEU Day; and
Whereas: The NSGEU member Hand Book and Day Planner lists April 19 as NSGEU Day; and
Whereas: Currently there are no events recognizing NSGEU Day.
Therefore be it resolved that: NSGEU holds an event to recognize April 19 as NSGEU Day.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What exactly is a Resolution?
- How is a Resolution written?
- How do I get a copy of the Resolutions or Constitutional Amendment Form?
- What if I want to change something in the Constitution and By-Laws?
- What are some examples of Previous Resolutions?
- How can I get help to write My Resolution, and where do I submit it?
- What are the roles of the Local, the Board of Directors, the Resolutions committee and the Constitutional Amendments Committee?
- Check List Before you Submit Your resolution.