Local 1995 Cape Breton Regional Police Services – Bargaining Reaches Impasse; Union Files for Conciliation

After five days at the bargaining table, your employer has refused to satisfactorily address the concerns of the membership of Local 1995.

Further, the employer advised the Union on Thursday, March 20th,  they were not willing to meet to discuss or negotiate any outstanding items.  Nor has the Union received a final offer from the employer. Having said that, the decision was made to proceed to conciliation rather than waste time trying to convince your Employer to return to the bargaining table.  The Union filed an application for the appointment of a Conciliation Officer the same day and the parties have been advised that Mr. Peter Lloyd has been appointed to assist the parties in reaching a tentative agreement.

The following provisions remain outstanding:

  • Article 10 – Overtime
  • Article 14 – Sick Leave & Income Protection Benefits
  • Article 19 – Long Service Award
  • Article 23 – Transfers & Promotions
  • Article 30 – Legal Aid & Protection
  • Article 31 – Pension
  • Article 35 – Salaries & Benefits
  • Article 46 – Duration & Termination (Term of Agreement)
  • Schedule “C” – Medical & Dental Coverage Pursuant to Article 32
  • Schedule “D” – Seniority & Service Lists October 19th, 2012                            (To be Updated)
  • Schedule “E” – Wages & Classifications

While we are very disappointed in this recent development, we remain committed to achieving a fair Collective Agreement for our membership. We will advise you when dates are set for conciliation.

Your Bargaining Committee thanks you for your continued support and encourages you to look for future updates.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of your Bargaining Committee, or the NSGEU at 424-4063 (toll free 1-877-556- 7438), or e-mail us at inquiry@nsgeu.ca

What is Conciliation?
Conciliation is provided under the Nova Scotia Trade Union Act. It takes place when regular negotiations fail to bring about an agreement. Either party may apply to the Minister of Labour and Advanced Education requesting the services of a Conciliation Officer. The Conciliation Officer does not have the power to impose a settlement on either party. Instead, their role is to mediate between the parties and help them reach an agreement. We are committed to reaching a tentative agreement that your Bargaining Committee can recommend to you.

What can happen at Conciliation?
The union and employer will either reach a tentative agreement or, if they do not, the Conciliator will determine that an agreement will not be reached and will file a report with the Minister of Labour & Advanced Education. If a tentative agreement is reached, we will arrange information sessions where members can pose questions and vote on the tentative agreement. If an impasse is declared, we will arrange information sessions where members can vote on the Employers’ final offer.

Bargaining Committee

Gregory  Mackinnon   greg.mackinnon@cbrps.ca

Brent Fifield                 brfifield@eastlink.ca

Robert MacMullin        robert.macmullin@cbrps.ca

Angus Boudreau         angus.boudreau@cbrps.ca

John Campbell            jpcampbell@cbrps.ca

Jim Gosse, Chief Negotiator


424-4063 or 1-877-556-7438

Related Articles

Start typing and press Enter to search