MEDIA RELEASE: Immediate Action Required to Protect Seniors & Workers at Northwood Manor
- Lack of infection control measures to protect vulnerable seniors and front line workers ;
- Lack of appropriate PPE available on both units;
- Lack of consistent, thorough cleaning of these units;
- Clustering of both negative and positive seniors together on some units, making it confusing as to who is positive or negative;
- Lack of patient armbands to identify which patients require medications;
- Lack of “clean rooms” (a space that is not accessible to patients where staff can safely don PPE without risk of contamination);
- And lack of garbage receptacles to properly dispose of contaminated PPE, so workers must carry them through the unit, potentially contaminating “clean” areas.
- Allow these workers access to N95 masks, as these are COVID-positive units;
- Ensure PPE supplies are available at the entrance of each room, so staff are able to safely respond to a patient in crisis;
- An increased and sustained presence of Infection Control to educate staff and ensure protocols are being followed;
- Allow these units to develop a model of care and staff appropriately for patient ratio and acuity;
- Removal of humidifiers from all patient rooms;
- Ensure units are deep-cleaned by housekeeping and then maintained with regular cleanings per day;
- Establish clean rooms for donning PPE, charting and breaks;
- And provide yellow bags to ensure contaminated PPE is disposed of properly and ensure there are sufficient receptacles in each patient room.
April 16, 2020
A coalition of unions representing more than 40,000 health care workers is launching a new campaign today, asking Nova Scotians to call...
April 7, 2020
COVID-19 is having a dramatic impact on our lives. All levels of government are working to provide new and improved...
April 3, 2020
Five unions representing health care workers providing care during the COVID-19 pandemic are calling on government and employers to sign...
March 27, 2020
NSGEU President Jason MacLean called on Premier McNeil to focus all his energy on the safety of front line health...
March 13, 2020
Dear members, Please click here for a joint union statement on COVID-19 personal protective equipment.
December 5, 2019
What: Lunch-hour information picket in support of Developmental Workers/LPNs When: Friday, December 6th, noon to 1 p.m. Where: In front of the...
July 18, 2019
Today’s government investment of $1.86 million is a good step forward for home care workers and the people they care...
June 18, 2019
The Nova Scotia Labour Board has ordered the Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) to conduct a comprehensive violence in the...
May 13, 2019
During the final day of NSGEU’s Triennial Convention, the NSGEU’s Executive team – consisting of President, 1st, 2nd and 3rd...